HOME > About FMU CONTENTS > Chronology1

About Fukushima Medical University FMU

Chronology Pick up͡ʣ(19442005)

1944/ 1/10 Fukushima Women's Medical School chartered.
1944/ 4/ 1 Fukushima Women's Medical School opened withthe quota of 120 freshmen.
1947/ 6/18 Fukushima Medical College Premedical Division(under the prewar education system) chartered and opened with the quota of 40 freshmen.
1950/ 4/ 1 The undergraduate course established. The Administrative Division and four basic medical departments (Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology) located at Mikawa-kitamachi,Fukushima City. Four basic medical departments (Pathology, Legal Medicine, Hygiene and Bacteriology), the Hospital and the Central Research Laboratory located at Sugitsuma-cho, Fukushima City.
1951/10/16 The Department of Psychiatry and its ward relocated to Watari, Fukushima City.
1952/ 2/20 Fukushima Medical College (under the new education system) chartered.
1952/ 4/ 1 Fukushima Medical College (under the new education system) opened.
1953/ 1/28 The Department of Public Health established on the Mikawa-kita-machi campus.
1953/ 6/29 The Departments of Hygiene, Legal Medicine and Bacteriology relocated to the Mikawa-kita-machi campus.
1955/ 1/20 The Premedical Course chartered.
1955/ 4/ 1 The Premedical Course opened at Shinhama-cho with the quota of 40 freshmen. The Department of Pathology II established on the Sugitsuma campus.
1958/ 4/ 1 Academic unit system adopted. The Department of Anatomy II established.
1959/ 4/ 1 The Department of Physiology II established on the Mikawa-kita-machi campus.
1959/ 5/25 The Administrative Division relocated to Uwamachi,Fukushima City.
1959/10/31 The right to confer the degree of doctor of philosophy granted.
1960/ 4/ 6 The RI Laboratory chartered.
1960/12/ 2 The Administrative Division relocated to Funabacho,Fukushima City.
1961/ 4/29 The Graduate School opened.
1962/ 3/22 The Department of Anatomy II relocated to the Funaba-cho campus.
1962/12/20 The quota of freshmen increased to 60.
1963/ 8/ 1 The address of the Administrative Division, Basic Buildings and University Hospital was changed to Sugitsuma Cho according to the renaming of the town.
1966/ 4/ 1 The Department of Anesthesiology established.
1967/ 4/ 1 The Department of Urology established.
1968/ 4/ 1 The Premedical Course renamed the Liberal Arts Course.
1971/ 1/12 An increase in the quota of freshmen from 60 to 80 approved.
1972/10/25 The Department of Psychiatry and its ward incorporated into the Hospital.
1982/ 4/ 1 The Department of Neurosurgery established.
1983/ 4/ 1 The Department of Nuclear Medicine established.
1983/ 9/16 The school song "Hikari no Tori" (the Bird of Light) composed.
1987/ 6/ 1 The Hospital relocated to Hikariga-oka, Fukushima City.
1988/ 4/ 1 The Administrative Division and others of the College relocated to Hikariga-oka, Fukushima City.
1989/ 4/ 1 The Department of Biochemistry II , Cardiovascular Surgery, and Neurology established.
1993/ 4/ 1 The Department of Emergency Medicine established in the Hospital. The Alumni Hall donated to the College by the Alumni Association.
1994/ 4/ 1 The Research Laboratories reorganized into the Institute of Biomedical Sciences, the Radioisotope Center and the Laboratory Animal Center.
1995/ 4/ 1 The Department of Neurology, Cardiovascular Surgery and Clinical Laboratory Medicine
established.
1996/ 4/ 1 The Departments of Radiology and Nuclear Medicine reorganized into the Department of Radiology.
1997/ 3/31 The Cancer Clinic closed.
1997/ 9/ 6 The 50th anniversary of foundation celebrated.
1997/12/19 The School of Nursing chartered.
1998/ 4/ 1 The School of Nursing opened.
1998/ 8/ 1 The Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery established in the Hospital.
1999/ 4/ 1 The Department of Pulmonary Medicine established in the Hospital. The Department of Molecular Genetics established in the Institute of Biomedical Sciences.
2001/ 3/31 The Nursing School attached to the School of Medicine closed.
2001/12/20 The Graduate School of Nursing chartered.
2002/ 4/ 1 The Graduate School of Nursing opened. The Maternal and Perinatal Center was established in the Hospital .(The NICU in the Hospital closed.)
2003/ 4/ 1 The Safety Management Division established in the Hospital. The Secretariat reorganized with the introduction of an F/F type administrative organization: the General Affairs Domain (the General Affairs & Planning Group, the Budget Accounting Group and the Facilities Management Group) and the Hospital Domain (the Management Group, the Management Planning Group and the Medical Affairs Group).
2004/ 4/ 1 The Graduate School of Medicine graduate courses reorganized. (Five research courses reorganized into four. The quota of students per year increased from 27 to 37.)
2005/ 4/ 1 The Departments of Anatomy I, Anatomy II , Biochemistry I and Biochemistry II renamed the Departments of Neuroanatomy & Embryology,
Anatomy & Histology, Biochemistry and Immunology respectively.
The Department of Pulmonary Medicine and the Department of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery established.
The Department of Community & General Medicine, the Department of Endoscopy
and the Department of Medical Information established in Hospital. The Medical History
Department closed.
continueChronology 22006

Page TOP