FUKUSHIMA Lives on the Line

85Fukushima is struggling with the nuclear power plant accident and the rumors and speculation surrounding it, but I believe that we are steadfastly making progress toward recovery.Recently, statements such as, “Don’t give up, Fukushima,” have been prevalent on TV. Although I am from the Kanto area myself, coincidentally my surname is Fukushima. Therefore, I feel a special affinity for the area and always notice the TV messages. I sincerely hope that everyone can find the strength of will to continue onward together toward full recovery.•Friday, March 11, 2011–Monday, March 21, 2011Because a large number of patients were brought to the hospital due to the earthquake, 33 beds were set up in the first floor reception hall.•Saturday, March 12, 2011–Monday, March 21, 2011Makeshift beds were set up in the outpatient areas of the Internal Medicine 1, 2, 3 and Neurology wards to accommodate patients from the hospitals within the evacuation zones, at the request of the prefecture’s disaster response headquarters.•Primary patient arrivals and transfers(1) Monday, March 14, 2011 (Evening)–Tuesday, March 15, 2011 (Morning)•Nishi hospital (Namie) accepted 74 patients→March 15 and 16: Patient transfer to hospitals in the Aizu area (in buses arranged by the Disaster Response Headquarters)Takeda General Hospital (23 patients), Aizu Central Hospital (17 patients), Yurin Hospital (10 patients)→March 16: Dialysis patients were transferred to hospitals in Tokyo (by buses arranged by the Disaster Response Headquarters)Tokyo University Hospital (eight patients), Teikyo University Hospital (seven patients)(2) Tuesday, March 15, 2011•Futaba Hospital (including geriatric care center) (Ookuma): 21 patients accepted(In refuge at Iwaki Koyo High School)→Wednesday, March 23, 2011: Patients transferred to Saiseikai Fukushima Hospital (two patients) and Masu Memorial Hospital (one patient)Friday, March 25, 2011: Takeda General Hospital (four patients)Friday, March 25–Saturday, March 26, 2011: Aizu Central Hospital (13 patients)(3) Saturday, March 19, 2011•Minamisoma City Odaka Hospital: Eight patients accepted→Sunday, March 20, 2011: Eight patients transferred to Niigata Prefecture (via Fire dept. helicopter and emergency support team ambulances)•Iwaki Kyoritsu General Hospital: 11 patients accepted→Sunday, March 20, 2011: Five patients transferred to Aizu Central Hospital(4) Sunday, March 20, 2011•Minamisoma General Hospital: 26 patients accepted→Sunday, March 20, 2011: 21 patients transferred to Niigata Prefecture (Niigata Shimin Hospital, etc., via emergency support team ambulances)•Omachi Hospital (Minamisoma): 13 patients accepted→Monday, March 21, 2011 (holiday): Patients transferred to Gunma Prefecture (via Self-Defense Force buses)(5) Other than the above, two patients were transferred to Futaba Kosei Hospital on March 12, 2011, two were transferred to Prefectural Ono Hospital on March 14, 2011, and inpatients were accepted from numerous other hospitals.*As a large volume of patients were expected to arrive from medical institutions in the evacuation and indoor shelter areas, the University hospital enforced a limit on patient admissions, in addition to preparing beds in the hospital’s two wards for patient intake.Closed Admission Period6th floor East Ward: Monday, March 21–Sunday, March 279th floor East Ward: Saturday, March 26–Thursday, March 31Overview of Patient Admission/Transfer in Hospitals within Evacuation ZonesHospital Administration Department